Member, Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Co-Chair of the Intellectual Property Group
|Two Liberty Place|
50 South 16th Street, 22nd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Bobbi Jacobs-Meadway focuses her practice on trademarks, trade dress, unfair competition and copyright issues and includes licensing and litigation in the federal courts and before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She has served as mediator in numerous trademark and copyright disputes.
- Sheetz of Delaware, Inc. v. Doctor's Assocs. Inc.,108 U.S.P.Q.2d 1341 (T.T.A.B. 2013);
- Drew Estate Holding Co. v. Fantasia Distribution, Inc., No. 11-21900-civ-Altonaga (S.D.Fla. 2012);
- Kistner Concrete Products, Inc. v. Contech Arch Technologies, Inc., Opp. No. 92048733, TTAB (2011);
- Noasha LLC v. Nordic Group of Cos., Ltd., et al., 630 F.Supp2d 544 (E.D.Pa., June 18, 2009);
- Doctor’s Associates, Inc. v. Sheetz Inc., et al., 09-cv-88, E.D. Va;. (2009);
- Saint-Gobain Corp. v. 3M Company, 90 U.S.P.Q.2d 1425 (T.T.A.B. 2007);
- CNB Financial Corp. v. CNB Community Bank, 03-cv-06945, (2004);
- Sexy Hair Concepts v. Victoria Secret Stores Brand Management, Inc., Opp. No. 91125739, TTAB, filed 7/18/2002;
- Winner International v. Etc'Cessories, et al., 96-cv-01409 (M.D.Pa., 1997);
- Tyco Industries v. Tiny Love, Ltd., et al., D.N.J., 95-cv-01135 (1996);
- National Icee Corp. v. J & J Snack Foods, et al., 91-cv-7105, E.D.PA. (1992);
- Jewelers Vigilance Committee v. Ullenberg Corp., 853 F2d 888, 7 U.S.P.Q.2d 1628 (CAFC 1988);
- Perfect Fit Industries, Inc. v. ACME Quilting Co., Inc., 646 F2d 800, 210 U.S.P.Q. 175 (2d Cir. 1981);
- Franklin Mint v. National Wildlife Art Exchange, Inc., 575 F.2d 62, 197 U.S.P.Q. 721 (3d Cir. 1978).
Intellectual Property Litigation
J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1975, with honors, Associate Editor, Rutgers Journal of Computers and the Law
B.A., Bryn Mawr College, 1972, magna cum laude
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
U.S. District Court for New Jersey
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Federal Circuit
U.S. Supreme Court
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations
Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association, Commission on Women in the Profession's (WIP) Co-Chair and Member of the Executive Council
ALI - CLE– Member Advisory Committee in Intellectual Property
International Trademark Association
Board Member, Birthright
Board Member, Main Line Deputy Dog
Awarded the Chambers Women in Leadership Award for Outstanding Contributions to Mentoring
Awarded the 2011 Anne X. Alpern Award by the Pennsylvania Bar Association Commission on Women in the Profession for mentoring of women in the legal profession
Recipient of 2011 Burton Award for Legal Writing
Selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
Selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for Intellectual Property
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, named Best Lawyers’ 2014 “Lawyer of the Year” for Trademark Law
Selected for inclusion in Who’s Who in Legal for Trademark Lawyers
Selected for inclusion in World Trademark Review magazine's WTR1000
Attained an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- “Fair Use Of Athletes' Likenesses In Video Games,” The Legal Intelligencer – Intellectual Property Supplement, October 2013.
- “Inside the Minds: Recent Trends in Trademark Protection, 2013 ed,” Aspatore Books, April 2013.
- “Fraud As A Defense In IP Litigation – Divergent Outcomes From Common Standards,” Commercial Damages Reporter, November 2012.
- “Don’t filter me! First Amendment protects student access to LGBT websites,” Open Court, June 2012.
- “Why Women Need To Look To Nontraditional Mentors,” The Legal Intelligencer – Women Professional Supplement, April 2012.
- “Is A Trademark’s Abandonment Always A Bar To Relief And Should It Be?” Commercial Damages Reporter, April 2012.
- “The Impact of Uncertainties in a Time of Change In Intellectual Property Law,” a book chapter in Thought Leadership: Intellectual Property Law 2012, published by Aspatore Books, February 2012.
- "Dilution Damages – Real Remedy or Not,” Commercial Damages Reporter, February 2012.
- “Reverse Domain Name Hijacking and Other Forms of Trademark Bullying – Can the Punishment Fit the Crime?” Commercial Damages Reporter, December 2011.
- “Corrective Advertising Damages – A Correct Measure or Not?” Commercial Damages Reporter, April 2011.
- "Developing Airtight Confidentiality Agreements," The Colorado Lawyer, April 2011.
- “Equal Treatment Under the Law? Attorneys’ Fees Awards in Intellectual Property Cases,” Commercial Damages Reporter, Vol 25, Issue 8, January 2011.
- “Developing airtight confidentiality agreements,” BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal, November 2010.
- “Hypothetical Royalties and Monetary Awards in Trademark and Unfair Competition Cases: Georgia-Pacific Meets the Lanham Acts,” Commercial Damages Reporter, Vol 25, Issue 7, November 2010.
- "Developing airtight confidentiality agreements," Eckert Seamans' Legal Update, Fall 2010.
- “Gotcha Back! “Exceptional” Cases May No Longer Be So Exceptional: Recent Developments in Fee Awards in Trademark Litigation,” Commercial Damages Reporter, Vol 25, Issue 5, August 2010.
“Appeals,” chapter from A Legal Strategist’s Guide to Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Practice published by the American Bar Association.
“SANDWICHWARS – Subway’s ‘footlong’ trademark efforts rile competitors,” GC New England Second Quarter 2010.
"How Much Certainty, How Little Certainty in Setting Damages Attributable to the Infringement," Commercial Damages Reporter Vol. 25, Issue 4, June 2010.
- "Inside the Minds: Understanding Trademark and Copyright Developments for Online Content," Aspator Books, May 2010.
“Statutory Damages: To Copy or Not to Copy, That is the Burning Question,” Commercial Damages Reporter, Vol 25, Issue 2, April 2010.
"From the Boardrooms to the Water: A Personal Story On Giving Back," Women in the Profession, a supplement to The Legal Intelligencer, April 2010.
- “How You Can Not Get Damages For Trademark Infringements,” Commercial Damages Reporter, Vol 25, Issue 1, January 2010.
- “Mandatory Injunctive Relief in Trademark Litigation,“ Commercial Damages Reporter, Vol 24, Issue 7, December 2009 (Part 1).
- “Back at You- Fee Awards Against Unsuccessful Plaintiffs in Trademark,” Commercial Damages Reporter, Vol 24, Issue 6, November 2009.
- “FTC Proposes Endorsement Regulations for Bloggers,” The Legal Intelligencer, October 2009.
- “Working With Experts to Enhance the Chances of Meaningful Damage Recovery In Trademark Cases(or to Determine that the Pursuit of a Substantial Recovery is Futile),” Commercial Damages Reporter, Vol 24, Issue 4, September 2009.
- “Trends in Trademark Damages,” Commercial Damages Reporter, Vol 24, Issue 3, May 2009.
- “Show Me the Money: Recent Developments In Monetary Recovery For Trademark Infringement,” Commercial Damages Reporter, Vol 24, Issue 2, March 2009.
- “PRO-IP Act of 2008: For Whom? For What? And Does It Matter?” Intellectual Property Today, February 2, 2009.
- Contributed chapters on surveys and on damages in copyright cases to Lexis-Nexis’ treatise Intellectual Property Counseling and Litigation.
- Contributes to the World Copyright Law Report.
- Contributes to Commercial Damage Reporter.
- “Trial of a Federal Court Case,” presenter for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE program,
- "Transformative Uses: Derivative Works and Fair Use,” presenter, Philadelphia Intellectual Property Law Association Federal Circuit Year in Review, May 15, 2014.
- “The Leadership Ambition Gap/Sit at the Table,” panel discussion moderator, Pennsylvania Bar Association Commission on Women in the Profession annual conference, May 14, 2014.
- “Fair Use and Plagiarism in Creating Art,” presenter, Philadelphia New Play Initiative, April 28, 2014.
- “IP Licensing in Global Economy,” presenter and course planner for the ALI-ABA video webcast, March 2014.
- “Mastering Copyright, Trademark, & Patent Law,” presented for The Rossdale Group CLE program, February 2014.
- “IP Law Primer,” presenter and course planner for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute CLE program, December 2013.
- “Making Sense of Fair Use: What Business Lawyers Need To Know about Copyright,” presented for the ALI CLE, November 2013.
- “Trademarks, trade dress and design patent protection,” presented for the Rutgers University Intellectual Property Law Association , November 2013.
- “Not Just Lip Service: Creating a Diverse and Inclusive Law Practice” presented at the Philadelphia Bar Association Bench Bar & Annual Conference, October 2013.
- “Fair Use or Foul: Copyrights, Trademarks, Social Media & Universities,” present with Rich Peirce at the 2013 NAICUSE-SNIN Research Conference, September 2013.
- “Aesthetic Functionality: Red Soles, Black Boxes and Betty Boop,” presented for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute Intellectual Property Committee CLE program, May 2013.
- “Trademark Dilution for Business Lawyers,” presenter and course planner for the ALI-ABA video webcast, July 2012.
- “Ethical Issues in IP,” presented at the 6th Annual Intellectual Property Institute, March 29, 2012.
•“Practical Aspects of Trademark Practice,” presenter and course planner for the ALI-ABA video webcast, February 2012.
- “Trademark Law: What's New--2011" presenter and course planner for the ALI-ABA video webcast, December 2011.
- “Generational Diversity: An Inescapable Reality,” a speaker at the Philadelphia Bar Association’s National Symposium on Diversity in the Legal Profession, November 2011.
- “Survey Says: An Empirical Look at Diversity in the Legal Profession,” panelist at the Philadelphia Bar Association Bench Bar Conference, October 2011.
- "Negotiating IP Licenses: Pretexting, Posturing, Poker, and Other Ethical Considerations,” presenter and course planner for the ALI-ABA video webcast titled Ethical Issues in IP, August 2011.
- "Copyrights for Non-Specialists," ALI-ABA video seminar, March 2011.
- “What IP Lawyers Need to Know Before Drafting or Negotiating Patent Infringement Claims in 2011,” ExecSense Webinar, February 24, 2011.
- “Licensor Beware: Traps in Trademark Licenses as a Means of Resolving Trademark Disputes," presenter and course planner for the ALI-ABA video webcast titled Co-Existence and License Agreements in Resolution of Trademark Disputes, March 2010, replay December 2010.
- “Trade Secrets and Covenants Not to Compete: Whose Secret Is It Anyway?” ALI-ABA video seminar, December 2010.
- “Trademark Disputes – Drafting Licenses and Coexistence Agreements to Creatively Resolve Potential Problems” speaker at PBI program, December 2010.
- "Demystifying Software Contracts," ALI-ABA video seminar, September 2010.
- "Negotiating IP Licenses-Pretexting, Posturing, Poker and Other Ethical Considerations," ALI-ABA video seminar, May 2010.
- “Licensor Beware: Traps in Trademark Licenses as a Means of Resolving Trademark Disputes," presenter and course planner for the ALI-ABA video webcast titled Co-Existence and License Agreements in Resolution of Trademark Disputes, March 2010.
- Gene Materials: Can Anyone Own Your Genes?” program moderator at ALI-ABA course, January 2010.
- “Results May Vary, Bloggers Be Wary: The FTC's Newly-Revised Guides on Endorsements and Testimonials,” speaker at ALI-ABA course, December 2009.
- "Global Aspects of IP Damages: I'm Here and the Infringer Is Over There!” faculty chair and moderator, for at ALI-ABA course, September 2009.
- “Trademark and Copyrights for the General Practitioner,” co-chair of ALI-ABA’s annual program, 1996 – 2009.
- “IP Due Diligence,” speaker at Pennsylvania Bar Institute “PBI” program, July 2009.
- “Best of the 3rd Annual IP Law Institute,” speaker at PBI program, April 2009.
- “IP Damages Today: Because That’s Where the Money Is,” speaker at ALI-ABA course, March 2009.
- “2nd & 3rd Annual IP Law Institute,” speaker at PBI program, April 2008 & March 2009.
- “In US, 2014 Promises Bad News For Patent Trolls And Trademark Owners,” quoted, Intellectual Property Watch, January 15, 2014.
- "More Women Partners at Pa. Firms, but Overall Ranks Stagnant,” quoted, The Legal Intelligencer, January 14, 2014.
- THE TOY AND GAME INVENTOR’S HANDBOOK: SECOND EDITION, quoted
- "The Jury's Still Out on Generation Y, Says Diversity Panel," quoted, The Legal Intelligencer, November 2011.
- “Trademarks, Dragon Boats and Roberta Jacobs-Meadway,” quoted, Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, May 2011.
- “Bilski Headlines Influential IP Rulings In 2010,” quoted, Law360, January 2011.
- "Cold Cut Conflict” quoted, Connecticut Law Tribune, May 24, 2010.
- “Second Circuit Says eBay Is Neither Direct Nor Contributory Infringer of Tiffany Marks” quoted in BNA, Inc.’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report, April 7, 2010.
- “Play by the New Rules” quoted, Marketing News, November 30, 2009.
- “Attorney Roberta Jacobs-Meadway Talks About The Possible “Free Credit Report” Rule” quoted, Financial Fraud Law, November 24, 2009.
- “Web sites, bloggers face new guidelines” quoted, Lawyers USA (with distribution to the Wisconsin Legal Journal, North Carolina Lawyers Weekly and the Daily Record), October 26, 2009.
- “Marketers target power of mothers who blog” quoted, Kids Nutrition Report, July/August 2009.
- “IP Battles To Ensue Following Michael Jackson's Death” quoted, Law360, June 26, 2009.
- “Michael Jackson's estate will keep busy protecting IP rights” quoted, National Law Journal, June 26, 2009.
Back to Top